Ms. Boyana Milcheva is a partner at Dimitrov, Petrov & Co. Law Firm. She joined the law firm in 2005, and now heads the Construction Law Practice Group and the Tax Law Practice Group. Ms. Milcheva specializes in construction law, real estate law, tax law, financial law and corporate law.
Boyana Milcheva possesses in-depth expertise in the area of construction and urban law, and provides a complete range of legal solutions to the construction sector. She has significant experience representing clients involved in major infrastructure projects in the areas of road construction and rehabilitation, railway and highway construction, construction and maintenance of airports. Ms. Milcheva is actively engaged as a legal consultant in public-private partnerships and concessions, providing full scope of interdisciplinary legal assistance. She successfully supports clients in specific dispute resolution procedures under international construction contracts. Boyana Milcheva provides full legal support with regard to property acquisition, including real estate due diligence and investigation of ownership, transactions structuring, negotiations and representation.
As an experienced tax lawyer, Boyana Milcheva provides expert advice and comprehensive tax legal consultations on a wide range of business matters in a variety of industries, including tax planning for establishment of companies and in the context of property acquisition and on tax implications of commercial restructurings and transactions. Ms. Milcheva leads complex lawsuits in the field of VAT, corporate tax and avoidance of double taxation.
Construction and real estate law experience:
– Exclusive Bulgarian legal and tax consultant of Astaldi S.p.A in all stages of the implementation of the EUR 162 million Parvomai – Svilengrad railway construction project under the conditions of the FIDIC Yellow Book and in an ICC Arbitration with respect to a EUR 2.4 million dispute on the final account after its completion;
– Leading Bulgarian law consultant of the local branch of C.M.C. di Ravenna with regard to the construction of Maritsa Highway (Lot 1: Orizovo – Dimitrovgrad) – a major infrastructure project costing EUR 65 million, financed under Operational Programme on Transport 2007-2013;
– Part of the team that completed the full and thorough legal analysis of the mortgage portfolio of Corporate Commercial Bank AD (in insolvency), including enforcement of court rulings related to real estates and imposing of interdictions on real estates as part of the bank’s receivers’ debt collection mission;
– Successfully protected the interests of the major Italian contractor Co-ver Holding S.R.L. in a EUR 57 million contractor’s dispute with the employer for one of the most significant infrastructural projects in Sofia – Sofia Airport Centre;
– Provided full scope of legal counselling to an international investor with respect to the construction of the first and only subsea fiber optic cable connecting the EU and the Caucasus region under the Black Sea;
– Engaged by Telenor Bulgaria EAD for the preparation of a comprehensive analysis of the compliance of the Bulgarian legislation with Directive 2014/61/EU of the European Parliament and of the Council of 15 May 2014 with regard to the construction of telecom networks;
– Managed the legal analyses and due diligence of 8 metro, intercity and international fibre optic networks with a total infrastructure length exceeding 2000 km;
– Represented the big supermarket chain CBA Varna OOD in administrative procedures before Varna Municipality and administrative courts on the status of some of its stores;
– Provides legal support to the contemplated investments in two key buildings located in the heart of Sofia – one of which is a strategic tourist facility and the other – a key business building;
– Consults leading Turkish construction companies on the concession regime over road construction and maintenance, and the conditions for conclusion of BOT contracts.
Tax law experience:
– Legal advisor of Trakya Glass Bulgaria EAD with regard to the tax aspects of the one-of-a-kind restructuring of the Bulgarian business of the Turkish giant Sişecam Group;
– Legal consultant of a major Bulgarian economic player with regard to VAT and corporate taxation. Provides advice on its tax planning approaches within its day-to-day and investment activities;
– Advised Corporate Commercial Bank AD (in insolvency) with regard to complex tax matters in the groundbreaking for Bulgaria area of taxation of financial institutions in conservation position;
– Successfully represented PFC Lokomotiv Plovdiv AD before the Supreme Administrative Court in appealing of a EUR 400,000 tax revision act;
– Advised a famous Bulgarian eco confectionery on the tax, real estate and employment matters arising from a EUR 500 000 acquisition transaction;
– Successfully represented one of the largest Georgian Internet service providers in an appeal of a tax revision act for the amount of EUR 250,000 related to applying a double taxation avoidance treaty;
– Represents a NGO, an EU programmes beneficiary, in a lawsuit related to a refusal of tax deduction under the Value Added Tax Act by the National Revenue Agency;
– Successfully conducted the special procedure provided for in the Value Added Tax Act for obtaining of permission for applying of 0 VAT rate in respect to chargeable supplies for which the 0 rate is provided under an International Treaty in respect to the Trans border Programmes financed by the EU Cohesion Fund;
– Represented a reputable company specialised in metal casting before the Sofia City Administrative Court in a procedure against the National Revenue Agency regarding a refusal of tax deduction of EUR 100,000 under the VAT Act;
– Advised the network infrastructure and service provider TeliaSonera International Carrier Bulgaria EOOD on tax issues on decapitalisation and withholding tax over dividends as well as applying rules for concealed distribution of profit;
– Provides assistance to Baustoff and Metal Marcil Ltd. with regard to relevant taxation issues in decapitalisation, withholding tax over dividends as well as applying rules for concealed distribution of profit.
Ms. Milcheva is a representative of Dimitrov, Petrov & Co. Law Firm at the AmCham Tax Committee, the Bulgarian Construction Law Society, the Dispute Resolution Board Foundation and the Bulgarian branch of the International Fiscal Association (IFA).
Ms. Milcheva is a member of the Sofia Bar Association. She is fluent in English.