Att. Nikola Stoychev is Senior Associate in Dimitrov, Petrov & Co. Law Firm which he joined in 2013.
He has graduated from Sofia University “St. Kliment Ohridski”, Faculty of Law (LL.M.). His in-depth knowledge and practice at the law firm are focused on Telecommunications Law, Information and Communications Technology Law, Media Law, Administrative Law, Constitutional Law (the regulatory framework for conduct of all types of elections, regulatory framework related to political parties, coalitions and independent candidate nomination committees).
He has a certificate of Introduction into British Law and EU law issued by the British Law Centre under the aegis of and in collaboration with the Faculty of Law and the Faculty of Distance Learning of the University of Cambridge and with Sofia University “St. Kliment Ohridski”.
- Participated in the team that advised one of the leading mobile operators in Bulgaria on a number of major projects such as:
- successful acquisition of radio spectrum allocation in Bulgaria;
- appeal of acts of the Communications Regulation Commission;
- implementation of Directive 2014/61/EU of the European Parliament and of the Council of 15 May 2014 on measures to reduce the cost of deploying high-speed electronic communications networks;
- the revision of the European Audiovisual Media Framework;
- the implementing of the new net neutrality rules after the coming into force of Regulation 2015/2120 and the conformity of their subscription plans with the new legislation.
- Participated in the team that drafted Sofia Bar Association’s legal opinion on the constitutional case regarding the constitutionality of Art. 250a – 251a of ECA;
- Advised one of the biggest data center operators in the world which operates in Bulgaria on real estate matters as well as for obtaining of a Certificate for class Investment (Priority investment project) before the Invest Bulgaria Agency;
- Advised one of the leading international providers of music streaming services, technology companies, online shopping websites, etc. with respect to the applicable Bulgarian e commerce and consumer legislation;
- Part of the team that advised the European Commission with respect to the Study report “Standards terms and performances criteria in Service Level Agreements for cloud computing services” (SMART 2013/0039) by drafting the report;
- Advised the European Commission with respect to the Study Report Facilitating Cross Border Data Flow in the Digital Single Market: study on data location restrictions (SMART/2015/0054).
- Advised the European Commission with respect to the Study report “ePrivacy Directive: assessment of transposition, effectiveness and compatibility with proposed Data Protection Regulation”;
- Advised the European Commission with respect to the “Study on all mandatory rules applicable to contractual obligations in contracts for sales of tangible goods sold at a distance and, in particular online”.
- Advised an independent candidate nomination committee whose presidential and vice-presidential candidates at the 2016 presidential election was among the top five after the final polling, and later advised one of the political parties that won MP mandates at the 2017 parliamentary elections. His legal assistance to the committee and the political party included:
- day-to-day guidance with respect to committee and party registration, registration of the candidates running for president and vice president and registration of MP candidates, etc.;
- drafting appeals of decisions of the Central Election Commission and requests to administrative bodies and the Court and contracts with media, and communicating with various administrative bodies to secure a smooth campaign;
- He also advised on the lawful conduct of their election (media) campaigns, thus successfully avoiding sanctions or penalties.
- He was member of the team that handled a series of strategic cases before the Supreme Administrative Court and administrative proceedings before the Central Election Commission and some regional commissions, thus successfully securing that citizens are allowed to record (on video, pictures, etc.) MP election procedures (despite the ambiguous wording of the Election Code).
- Drafted amendments to legislative acts and statements for participation in public consultations for amendments to legislative acts.
- Participated in the team that successfully represented and advised Corporate Commercial Bank AD (in insolvency) in the appeal of the Bulgarian National Bank’s decision for termination of the bank’s license;
- He has a strong record of drafting general terms and conditions for provision of internet access services, IPTV, telephony services, collocation services, interconnection agreements and the relevant SLAs; obtaining permissions for use of scarce resources – such as numbers and radio spectrum.
Nikola's expertise, attention to detail and out-of-the-box thinking have allowed him to work on various projects for major clients of the firm such as Google, Fox Networks Group Bulgaria, Telenor Bulgaria, Corporate Commercial Bank (in insolvency), Equinix Bulgaria Data Centers, etc.
Att. Stoychev is a member of Sofia Bar Association.
He is fluent in English.