Assoc. Prof. Martin Zahariev, PhD
Assoc. Prof. Martin Zahariev, PhD, joined the team of Dimitrov, Petrov & Co. Law Firm in 2012.
He is a Trade Mark and Design Attorney at the Patent Office of the Republic of Bulgaria, as well as a European Trade Mark and Design Attorney.
Martin Zahariev graduated with honors from Sofia University “St. Kliment Ohridski”, Faculty of Law (LL.M.) and now specializes in intellectual property litigation, domain names disputes, privacy and arbitration. He advises also in the fields of employment law and life sciences regulation.
Member of the winner team in the Europeaus Moot Court competition about the law of the European Union, preliminary ruling before the European Court of Justice about the protection of competition, May 2014. Member of the team that received an Honourable Mention for Werner Melis Award Best Memorandum for Respondent (top 20 of the world) in the Willem C. Vis International Commercial Arbitration Moot: competition in the area of international commercial arbitration and the Vienna Convention for International Sale of Goods, May 2014 – April 2015. Participated for two consecutive years in one of the world’s largest and most prestigious international private law competitions – Willem C. Vis International Commercial Arbitration Moot by serving as an arbitrator in the pre-moots held in 2016 and 2017 in Sofia, Bulgaria (2nd and 3rd Sofia Vis Pre-Moot) and in Belgrade, Serbia (9th and 10th Belgrade Open Pre-Moot). Participant in The Young Arbitrators Match 2015/2016 – the first and only competition that offers young practitioners the opportunity to decide a dispute based on an exchange of submissions and evidence, which was held in Paris in the autumn of 2016.
Martin Zahariev has an educational and scientific degree "doctor" in the professional field of "Public Communications and Information Sciences" at the University of Library and Information Technology (ULSIT), Sofia. His doctoral dissertation is entitled "Organization and management of automated profiling in the context of personal data protection".
University lecturer at the University of Library Studies and Information Technologies and Sofia University St. Kliment Ohridski in the disciplines related to ICT law, Regime of Information, Basics of Law and Personal Data Protection.
Guest lecturer on the topic of personal data protection regime at the American University in Bulgaria, the Technical University of Sofia, and University of Plovdiv Paisii Hilendarski.
- Part of the team that advised on employment issues within the restructuring of the Bulgarian business of Şişecam Group;
- Part of the team that advises on a daily basis Şişecam Group on employment issues;
- Part of the team that provides full legal counselling to a leading international network operator on a daily basis on employment issues;
- Part of the team that advises on labour issues the local business of a Polish retail clothing company with a global reach, which has been successfully operating on the clothing market for over 20 years;
- Part of the team that advises one of the most important and innovative technology companies in Romania on its entering the Bulgarian market, which involves inter alia a number of employment matters;
- Part of the team that advised Reader’s Digest through the whole period of its presence on the Bulgarian market on employment issues;
Litigation & Arbitration:
- Part of the team that advised Astaldi S.p.A in an ICC Arbitration with respect to a dispute on the final account after the completion of the Parvomai – Svilengrad railway project;
- Part of the team that successfully suspended the execution procedure under the Registered Pledges Act against the commercial enterprise of the owner of “My Day” trademark in extremely difficult and rare for the Bulgarian market proceedings with a mater value of EUR 4 mln;
- Part of the team that represents Higia EAD in different court and execution procedures for recovery of a EUR 20 million portfolio of commercial debts from more than 200 debtors;
- Part of the team that that provides court representation to Higia EAD in five insolvency proceedings and the connected preferential claim procedures before Bulgarian courts, including the Supreme Court of Cassation;
IP, IT & Pharma experience:
- Part of the team that advised on IP matters the venture capital fund NEVEQ II with regard to structuring and concluding of the investment in the technology-based corporation specialised in designing and manufacturing of access control and identification systems based on biometric patterns – BIODIT;
- Part of the team that advised NEVEQ II on the acquisition of equity participation in Methodia AD (an ERP system platforms developer), including completing of a due diligence exercise on IP matters.
– Part of the team that advises some of the leading international pharmaceutical companies on pharma regulation and data protection matters;
- Part of the team that advises leading companies such as Google, Fox Networks Group Bulgaria EOOD, Jobs.BG EOOD
Member of Sofia Bar Association and the International Moot Court Competitions Association.
He speaks English and German.